Friday, April 14, 2006


Blue Guitar
They said, "You have a blue guitar,
You do not play things as they are."
The man replied, "Things as they are
Are changed upon the blue guitar."
Wallace Stevens
Lewis Lapham, Harper's Mag Ed. prefaced his May Notebook piece with this lovely poem. It's been in my head since I read it. Further into the May issue was the gift of ' Into the Quotidian', an exerpt from an essay by the poet John Burnside which talked about the 'autre monde' - stepping into the 'other world' and the experience of it. It was a corroboration, for me, of the piece of writing with which I opened this blog - from Franz Kafka's Diaries, which I found pinned to a tree whilst having such a moment as Mr. Burnside describes.
It's like a balm to have these greater thoughts presiding in my skull, instead of the usual sludge that I'd be ashamed to put in print. If I can't have my own great thoughts, at least I can appreciate and reflect on those of people wiser than myself!
Good Friday: It's raining, but the Annual Family Hike will happen anyway. It's TRADITION! And we have so few, it's important to hold to what we have in spite of setbacks like crappy weather.
Today's Hike will take place at the Dundas Conservation Area. Haven't been there since I was a kid, so I'm hoping it's not as flat and boring as I remember it, for my son's sake - who hopes for a 'cool' hike. Whatever happens, there's sure to be lots of chocolate, and since my parents are coming along, Hot Cross Buns should be on the menu too. My contribution will be cookies, leftover from the Craft show - and they's plenty of 'em!
Happy Easter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home